Wednesday, January 23, 2013

First Birthday Fun!

From the minute I knew my due date, I started thinking about how we'd celebrate our baby's future birthdays. January is a tough month because the weather is usually too cool to be outside, and, let's face it, park and pool birthday parties seem like the easiest ones to pull off. Alas, Norah was to be relegated to winter celebrations for life.

After some brainstorming courtesy of Pinterest, I realized how many fun opportunities there are for indoor parties. I decided to throw her a "Winter Garden Party" for her first big birthday party -- mostly because it meant I could make it feminine and flowery, and I know that one day soon, Little Lady will want to plan her own themes for her parties.

In the beginning stages of planning Norah's party, I thought we'd do a simple at-home party. Turns out there's no such thing. After renting tables, chairs, and linens from Marquee Event Group, coordinating decorations (homemade Mason jar drinking glasses, poms from Martha Stewart, glass drink dispensers borrowed from my friend Amy, paper bouquets left over from my friend Andi's wedding, and paper goods - like the "Happy Birthday" sign and "Norah" cake banner from my friend Jessica's Etsy shop), and planning the birthday menu (chicken salad on croissants, fruit-cheese tray, quiches, and a strawberry layer cake), it was quite the planning ordeal. And, because I'm a crazy person who thought she could go to the Dallas-based Cotton Bowl the day before the party, I *definitely* relied on the help of my family to coordinate the last details. My mom, dad, sister, and father- and mother-in-law have my eternal gratitude! (And Jacob was pretty helpful, too, of course.)

Even though I was exhausted by the end of the day, I wouldn't have done the party any other way. Thanks to those who came and celebrated with us! We had a blast, and I love that I have lots of photos to show Future Norah what a fun first birthday she had!







No comments:

Post a Comment